In an exploratory study done by Postlethwaite T. Neville; Ross, Kenneth N. they pointed out certain indicators of schools which are effective in reading.
Here some of those indicators.
- There is a school newspaper
- There is a school library and it is well stocked.
- There are classroom libraries which are also well stocked
- Students borrow frequently
- In some of the more effective schools there are separate reading rooms in the libraries for students
- There is a separate room set up for professional use by teachers
- A high proportion of female reading teachers
- Teachers have students engage in reading activities in the classroom, and have students use the library. Indeed some teachers do make a practice of taking their students to the library.
- For the students who do not go to the library the library can be made more inviting by having certain activities like plays in the library. Get more of the popular books.